There is no universal winning way of filling in the documents and writing a scholarship essay. If you collect all the questionnaires that have ever won, it will be difficult for you to determine what unites them. Each has its own unique style used by the author, a unique opportunity to look into the past, present, and future.
This uniqueness is the key to success and this is the first thing you should remember when you fill out the paper for the scholarship for studying at college. Make the essay exclusively personal, personalize it, delve into your preferences and your subject, and give an answer that only you can give. It is this individuality that strikes the examiner when choosing a winner.
Scholarship is money for your education, which someone else gives you. Everybody knows that there are a lot of people who wish to get money for their education. After all, this money will assist to make the dream of getting a qualitative education without paying anybody back come true. It’s no secret to anyone that to find funding for studies, you need to work really hard. However, you need to be especially attentive when you’re applying for a scholarship. A great role in whether your candidacy will be chosen or not, plays your essay. If you don’t know how to write a scholarship essay, these tips will help you.
Getting a Scholarship for Your Studies
To obtain financing for education, one really needs to work hard. First you need to decide on the university and specialty, which you want to study. But the most important moment comes when you apply for a scholarship. After all, the admission commissions in universities do not communicate personally with applicants and make an initial impression of their future students solely on the basis of the submitted documents.
Below, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the basic stages of writing an essay, as well as other tips on how to write a scholarship essay that will be useful to everyone who is applying to college.
- At first, allocate enough time to write an essay. For each person, this process takes a different amount of time – someone spends a week, while others need a whole month. Even if you are confident in your abilities, do not start writing essays one day before deadline in a hurry. This approach is a failure in advance. Writing this paper takes a lot of effort and time, especially if you really want to get a scholarship.
- It happens that candidates who are very fond of the preparation process, forget about the last date of acceptance of documents, and miss deadlines. Having spent quite a lot of time and effort to write an essay, do not forget about the deadline for applying for a scholarship.
The Theme of the Essay
Read and re-read the essay questions that you are asked to answer and identify key topics. It is very important to form a question to which your essay will answer. Study the specifics of the scholarship and the company that provides funding, determine its goals, and values. Highlight this information in separate briefs sections. You can also apply to an educational institution of higher learning or a company that offers scholarships and ask them what the essay should be about, or what major topics should be disclosed.
If you find it difficult to start your essay, you can quote or present a statement of your intended purpose, then you can link them to the main text. Showing more knowledge and abilities on your issue, you can convince the judges that you are a worthy candidate for a scholarship.
Fill out your essay with the keywords and their synonyms used in the initial statement. Thus, you will demonstrate your commitment to the solution of the question posed.
Tell the commission briefly what prompted you to choose your studies precisely for the specialty you are applying for. Do not be afraid to praise yourself. Write that you are hardworking, purposeful, etc. But this characteristic should be confirmed by a graphic example (organization or participation in a project, etc.).
Once you determine the theme of your paper, proceed to the collection of the materials that will serve as the basis for the work. Ask yourself a simple question, which answer is in your biography. For instance, “How will your previous experience in the economic sphere help this field in the future?” (the industry depends on the specialty that you want to get, it can be business, marketing, etc.). To give an answer, you need to present your previous experience in the form of a list, a card, or in any other form, nothing to miss, specifically to form and write down.
Then proceed to the second section of the question (for example, your contribution to the future of the international economy) and your work. Specify the actual problems in the international economy, and then analyze how your experience will assist to deal with them. Put these two pieces together in one paper that will demonstrate you in a winning light. Don’t forget to be extremely specific.
To get a scholarship, good and fresh ideas are necessary. To do this, identify easy questions that you need to find answers to within your scope. For instance, cultural characteristics, the time difference, and features in the paper. During a brainstorming session, write down all your thoughts on paper or a recorder and in any case, do not discard some ideas at once, maybe you can return to them later.
At the end of the brainstorming, you need to highlight the basic idea. For this, you can again turn to the technique of questions and answers. Formulate an easy question that reflects the substance of the problem. Using the chosen example of the international economy, this question may become the following: In what way can the study of economic development in your country be useful or profitable? The main idea of your essay is defined.
Now you need to write a draft of the work, fixing everything that you remembered, analyzed, and came up with. Build a clear and complete picture. Stay away from difficult formulations, write your story, telling who you are and why you are doing all of this. It must be understood that the essay was written by a living person – personalization and live language will be in your favor when the commission will be reading your essay.
Do not use clichés and bothersome templates. Your essay should stand out in a colorful, active, and exciting speech that will attract the sponsor.
When you have finished the first draft, put the paper away, breathe some fresh air for several hours, and occupy yourself with something else. For a while, don’t think about your how to write a scholarship essay, the essay itself, scholarship, etc., think about other topics and relax.
Carefully read the essay for the presence of mistakes, assess its contents, defining whether you have considered everything and reported all you wanted to say in your story. Think about it, do you like it personally? After completing the checking, give the paper for evaluation to another person and ask for a fair and full answer. Constructive criticism is very important at this point.
And the last, but not unimportant. You can read examples of other candidates’ essays in order to better understand the structure or logic of writing the text and give yourself an idea of how to write a scholarship essay in general. But do not plagiarize. Now it is very easy to prove the fact of illegal borrowing of the material. It will not do you any good and can create many problems.
What to Include in the Essay on Leadership
Experience in leadership work and the extent of your achievements.
- Why did you start leading people? What was your first inspiration and what do you feel when you gained experience?
- What obstacles did you encounter and how did you overcome them? Inspiring stories of perseverance, despite adversity, will make readers want to help you succeed.
- What did you learn? Each experience brings new lessons and opportunities for personal growth, while the best leaders are modest and understand this.
- What does this mean for your future? A scholarship is not just a reward, it’s an investment in your future.
What to Include in the Essay on the Impact on the Community
- How much time did you devote to this activity? The scholarship committee is likely to look for candidates who have devoted themselves to social activities for quite some time.
- Why is it important for you? Having a genuine reason, your essay will be more convincing.
- Why was it important for society? It is very important to show that you understand the real needs of your team, and act to solve them.
- What do you get for yourself working for the community? It is important to show that you understand how by giving, you end up getting more.